The book has some obvious external signs of age and wear but internally is in very good original condition. The most interesting thing about this copy of The Young Cricketer is that it has a signed dedication on the inside of the front cover from Gubby Allen to Peter Hill-Wood, believed to have later become chairman of Arsenal Football Club. In 1950 Hill-Wood would have been 14 and at Eton College. Peter Denis Hill-Wood (25 February 1936 – 28 December 2018) was a British businessman and a chairman of Arsenal Football Club. His father, three uncles and grandfather all played first-class cricket for Derbyshire County Cricket Club. Peter Hill-Wood attended Eton College and his family were involved in business and banking, and Gubby Allen was an Old Etonian who had worked on the Stock Exchange.

Sir George Oswald Browning “Gubby” Allen CBE (31 July 1902 – 29 November 1989) was a cricketer who captained England in eleven Test matches. In first-class matches, he played for Middlesex and Cambridge University.

Allen was appointed England captain in 1936 and led the team during the 1936–37 Bodyline tour of Australia, when the home team won 3–2 having lost the first two matches.

A fast bowler and hard-hitting lower-order batsman, Allen later became an influential cricket administrator who held key positions in the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), which effectively ruled English cricket at the time; he also served as chairman of the England selectors.

As Allen’s first-class career came to a close, he moved into administration and was instrumental in the creation of a MCC coaching manual, and worked hard to eliminate illegal bowling actions. As chairman of selectors from 1955 to 1961, he presided over a period of great success for English cricket, during which he worked closely with the Test captain Peter May. In 1963, he became MCC president, and was made the club’s treasurer the following year. In this role, he was deeply involved in the D’Oliveira affair, a controversy over the potential selection of Basil D’Oliveira to tour South Africa. After Allen’s gradual retirement from his administrative roles, he was knighted in 1986 and spent his later years in a flat close to Lord’s, where he died, aged 87, in 1989.